Tuesday, September 1, 2015

God Our One Thing

Ecclesiastes 4:6 New International Version (NIV)
6 Better one handful with tranquillity
    than two handfuls with toil
    and chasing after the wind.

Psalm 73:25 English Standard Version (ESV)
25 Whom have I in heaven but you?
    And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you.

Psalm 27:4 New International Version (NIV)
4 One thing I ask from the Lord,
    this only do I seek:
that I may dwell in the house of the Lord
    all the days of my life,
to gaze on the beauty of the Lord
    and to seek him in his temple.

Luke 10:42 New International Version (NIV)
42 but few things are needed—or indeed only one.[a] Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”

Psalm 46:10 New International Version (NIV)
10 He says, “Be still, and know that I am God;
    I will be exalted among the nations,
    I will be exalted in the earth.”

Today I got to enjoy a tiny puppy who couldn't hold still.  I even took pictures, all blurred, with the exception of one.  There are people like that with energy and drive to burn, who never seem to stop doing.  As for me, I can put on a good show if needed, but rheumatoid arthritis has allowed me to enjoy my more natural state of contemplative rest, with a strong lean toward laziness.  The ability to multi-task may look good on a resume to every employer except for God and laziness never.  He wants to be our focus, our heart's song, neither too busy or too lazy in our walk with him.  
The late Rich Mullins sang about God being our One Thing.

Rich Mullins - My One Thing

No comments:

Post a Comment