Sunday, December 20, 2015

More Than I Could Wish

1943 Sears Christmas Catalog

John 15:7English Standard Version (ESV)
7 If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.

Matthew 1:23New International Version (NIV)
23 “The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel”[a] (which means “God with us”).

John 3:16 New International Version (NIV)
16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

In 1968 the Sears Christmas catalog became The Wish Book and I have to wish it hadn't.  We received all our hearts could possibly need when Jesus our Savior was born.   Yes, gifts are fine and good.  I confess to spending hours pouring over the catalog in my childhood home, circling what I wanted and putting my name to it less another sibling received it instead.  I even remember helpfully totaling the items for my parents' convenience.  Yes, it was still all about me and my own wishes.  When I think that the Son of God came to earth in the lowliest of circumstances to save a wretch like me, I am humbled and thankful.  Our Messiah has come.  In a land of happy holidays it cheers my heart just to say, "Merry Christmas!" God is with us.  All wishes have been granted. 
All Is Well - MIchael W. Smith 

No comments:

Post a Comment