Monday, December 28, 2015

Thirst No More

Jesus and the Samaritan Woman at the Well

John 4:13-15 New International Version (NIV)
13 Jesus answered, “Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, 14 but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”

15 The woman said to him, “Sir, give me this water so that I won’t get thirsty and have to keep coming here to draw water.”

John 4:28 New King James Version (NKJV)
28 The woman then left her waterpot, went her way into the city, and said to the men, 29 “Come, see a Man who told me all things that I ever did. Could this be the Christ?” 30 Then they went out of the city and came to Him.

John 4:39-42 New King James Version (NKJV)
The Savior of the World
39 And many of the Samaritans of that city believed in Him because of the word of the woman who testified, “He told me all that I ever did.” 40 So when the Samaritans had come to Him, they urged Him to stay with them; and He stayed there two days. 41 And many more believed because of His own word.

42 Then they said to the woman, “Now we believe, not because of what you said, for we ourselves have heard Him and we know that this is indeed the Christ,[a] the Savior of the world.”

My husband and I pulled a U-Haul trailer, heavily packed with all our belongings,  to our new home in Texas, a second floor apartment, on a hot August midday.  Neither of us had ever felt such heat before.  Still we proceeded to unload that trailer bearing every item we thought important up those stairs.  Oh, my!  I was probably as thirsty as I have ever been or ever will be in this life.  A large lemonade drink later on never tasted better.  If someone had come along in the middle of that move to show us a better way or even to help with the heavy lifting, I would have been most thankful; and I'd still be telling the story.  Like the Samaritan woman my first thought would have been for myself.  Like the Samaritan woman, I hope my next thought would have been others, so that they might know Christ and thirst no more.  



No comments:

Post a Comment