Monday, March 10, 2014

Abide With Me

Rembrandt, Christ at Emmaus, 1629
Luke 24:29
New King James Version (NKJV)
29 But they constrained Him, saying, “Abide with us, for it is toward evening, and the day is far spent.” And He went in to stay with them.
Rembrandt's painting captures the moment the two disciples who walked with Jesus on the road to Emmaus realized who He was.  One falls on his knees and the other simply looks dumbfounded.  It makes me wonder how I would react if  it were me.  There are so many truths about Jesus that don't always reach from my head to my heart.  Would I stress out over the death of the one I thought would redeem Israel?  Probably so.  I want immediate relief and can't accept that it's not forthcoming.  Would I worry less if I could see Him face to face?  I hope so, but how much better it would be if my faith alone was sufficient assurance?    I don't see the bigger picture but my Jesus does.  How kind and patient He was to explain this to these men.  How amazing it must have been when their eyes were opened and Jesus was revealed!  Of course, it was Jesus all along!  Some of us are just a little slow to realize it.  I can so get the disciples pressing Jesus to abide with them.  I would do it if I could.  We could share an appetizer at Applebee's and just talk.  It would be lovely to hear Him speak what I know to be true and have it fall comfortably and completely down into my heart.  
"Abide With Me" - Hayley Westenra


No comments:

Post a Comment