Thursday, March 13, 2014

Of Man's Foolishness and Christian Counsel

Proverbs 20:5
English Standard Version (ESV)
5 The purpose in a man's heart is like deep water,
    but a man of understanding will draw it out.
Proverbs 27:9
English Standard Version (ESV)
9 Oil and perfume make the heart glad,
    and the sweetness of a friend comes from his earnest counsel.[a]
Galatians 6:2
English Standard Version (ESV)
2 Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.
Proverbs 12:15
New International Version (NIV)
15 The way of fools seems right to them,
    but the wise listen to advice.
2 Timothy 3:16-17
English Standard Version (ESV)
16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17 that the man of God[a] may be complete, equipped for every good work.
John 14:26
New International Version (NIV)
26 But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.
I'm one of those who will google symptoms and try to self diagnose before seeking out a doctor.  Perhaps that makes me a fool.  Actually I'll google just about anything I'd like to know even in spiritual matters.  So call me a googling fool.   I have a Bible, actually more than one.  I even have an online Bible.  So I am without excuse when it comes to bearing another's burdens.  I should be so well versed that I'm always prepared with Godly wisdom to disperse.  But I'm not.  Call it foolishness, call it laziness; but fellow Christians are often the reason why so many of us need to seek professional help.  We like giving our job over to the pros.   In truth we are better equipped than we think, because we have the Holy Spirit.  
Please, though, if you need a Psychiatrist or a Counselor, go see one, especially the ones who are Christians.   I know from experience that they are good, if not perfect, helpers in a time of need.  Sometimes we need their medical know how and specific training.  A person representing Christ in the flesh will always be better than Google.
Take Time to Be Holy



No comments:

Post a Comment