Tuesday, January 5, 2016

The Still, Small Voice

 Kings 19:11-12 New King James Version (NKJV)
God’s Revelation to Elijah
11 Then He said, “Go out, and stand on the mountain before the Lord.” And behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind tore into the mountains and broke the rocks in pieces before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind; and after the wind an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake; 12 and after the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire; and after the fire a still small voice.

It was an unusually busy day at work and I was alone answering the phones.   As I processed a customer's request, I did notice a warning going off in my head (some may call it my personal idiot light); but I ignored it,  because I just didn't have the time!  Of course, it would come back to bite me later.  Thankfully, the error was revealed before any harm or inconvenience could happen.   Still, it would have been better and less embarrassing to have listened the first time.  

It reminded me of Elijah on Mount Horeb.  I would have thought God would have been in the wind, certainly the earthquake, and especially the fire; so much so that I'm not sure that I would have heard or recognize His still small voice.   He didn't need to speak up; He just needed Elijah to listen; and He wants the same from me.   

No comments:

Post a Comment