Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Happily Ever After...


1 Peter 5:6-11 New International Version (NIV)

6 Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. 7 Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

8 Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. 9 Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that the family of believers throughout the world is undergoing the same kind of sufferings.

10 And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast. 11 To him be the power for ever and ever. Amen.

…is yet to come.  It's not always easy to remember that even a daughter of the King won't come out of every grief and trouble smelling like a rose.  We will fight battles.  Life won't be fair and our happily ever after will take an eternity in coming.  I was reminded of the biblical story of the great general, Naaman, of the Syrian army.  A man of wealth and power but still a leper, he tried to buy his healing from the prophet Elisha.  He wanted a showy cure, a little magic for all his trouble.  It wasn't until he humbled himself and did as Elisha had instructed, bathe seven times in the Jordan river, before he was healed of both body and soul.  I'm not sure how Naaman's life played out afterward but I know he was exalted in God's good timing, and so shall we all be who belong to the Lord.  

Find Me In the River - Delirious?

Find me in the river
Find me on my knees
I've walked against the water
Now I'm waiting if you please

We've longed to see the roses
But never felt the thorns
And bought our pretty crowns
But never paid the price

Find me in the river
Find me there
Find me on my knees with my soul laid bare
Even though you're gone and I'm cracked and dry
Find me in the river, I'm waiting here

Find me in the river
Find me on my knees
I've walked against the water
Now I'm waiting if you please

We didn't count on suffering
We didn't count on pain
But if the blessing's in the valley
Then in the river I will wait


No comments:

Post a Comment