Saturday, September 13, 2014

Sailing the Gospel Seas

Psalm 89:8-9 New International Version (NIV)
8 Who is like you, Lord God Almighty?
    You, Lord, are mighty, and your faithfulness surrounds you.
9 You rule over the surging sea;
    when its waves mount up, you still them.

Today was a perfect late summer day, and we had a lovely time celebrating the 90th birthday of a precious family member.  We did cut things closely, however, trying to get my husband to his scheduled shift at work.  There was a long backup of cars to board the ferry home, and we were one of the last loaded on the ferry for that sailing; but we did make it; and there is such sweet relief in knowing you didn't miss the boat!  I am thinking tonight about the old Southern Gospel song, "The Good Old Gospel Ship," because the one boat you never, never want to miss requires a ticket paid for by the blood of Jesus.  The relief I felt today will pale in comparison to my final sail to Heaven's shore.  
Carter Family - The Good Old Gospel Ship
Album: The Carter Family In the Shadow of Cinch Mountain
I'm going to take a trip in that old gospel ship
I'm going far beyond the sky
I'm gonna shout and sing til heaven rings
When I bid this world goodbye

I have good news to bring, and that is why I sing
All my joys with you I'll share
I'm going to take a trip in that old gospel ship
And go sailing through the air

I can scarcely wait, I know I won't be late
I'll spend my time in prayer
And when the ship comes in, I'll leave this world of sin
And go sailing through the air

If you are ashamed of me, you ought not to be
Yes, you'd better have a care
If too much fault you find, you will sure be left behind
While I'm sailing through the air


No comments:

Post a Comment