Monday, September 1, 2014

My Burden Bearer

Matthew 11:28-30 English Standard Version (ESV)
28 Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

Psalm 55:22 English Standard Version (ESV)
22 Cast your burden on the Lord,
    and he will sustain you;
he will never permit
    the righteous to be moved.

Psalm 68:19 New English Translation (NET Bible)
19 The Lord deserves praise!
Day after day he carries our burden,
the God who delivers us. (Selah)

I am a burden hoarder.  There is a strange comfort in keeping old familiar burdens.  There's a painful pleasure in acquiring new ones.  There is an arrogant swagger in bearing all of them.  Burden hoarders, however, are too weighed down to be effectual Christians.  For all the times I've cried out, "I've got it!" there are as many or more times that God has said, "No, I've got it."  And He does.  In spite of my defiance and out of His great love He remains my heavy lifter, and I am grateful.
Lay My Burden Down - Caroline Herring
   

No comments:

Post a Comment