Sunday, October 20, 2013

Just As I Was, Just As I Am

Billy Graham's First Crusade in Los Angeles 1949
Romans 5:6-8
New International Version (NIV)
6 You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. 7 Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die. 8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

1 Timothy 1:15
New International Version (NIV)
15 Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst.
Hebrews 12:1
King James Version (KJV)
12 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,

A Billy Graham Crusade was required viewing in my childhood.  In my memory they were usually televised in the summer, which meant those long summer nights were cut short as we were called in to listen and watch the service.  I remember that George Beverley Shea sang, Cliff Barrows lead the choir, and Billy Graham looked you squarely in the eye through the wonders of television and preached.  Then there was the invitation to come forward to receive Christ, when the song, "Just As I Am, " was indelibly printed in my mind along with the images of people, so many people, getting up out of their seats to answer God's call on their hearts.  It was amazing to watch.  I think I thought of Dr. Graham as some sort of Super Christian.  If he wore a cape under his suit I wouldn't have been surprised.  
We do come to Jesus just as we are.  Thankfully He doesn't leave us in that state.  We repent and are forgiven.  We are given a brand new life and we are to live it, not returning to the sins that brought us broken to the altar.  Yet we still will sin and yet Jesus still forgive.  This is truly amazing grace, holy and unmerited grace that saves a wretch like me.


No comments:

Post a Comment