Thursday, October 17, 2013

Thankful In All Circumstances

My Party Dress: February 1939. "Child of migrant worker ironing in tent camp near Harlingen, Texas." 35mm negative by Russell Lee for the FSA.

Acts 24:3
English Standard Version (ESV)
3 in every way and everywhere we accept this with all gratitude.
1 Thessalonians 5:18
English Standard Version (ESV)
18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
I hate ironing.  I've just been thinking how I need to get off the computer and get my clothes ready for work tomorrow. when I remembered this picture of a migrant child ironing her party dress.  I still hate ironing but I'm thankful I have clothes to iron and a dryer that means clothes may not even need ironing.   Sometimes I have to be nudged into an attitude of gratitude and sometimes I have to be pushed.  So tonight I'm thankful for my clothes washer and dryer, my iron and my ironing board, my abundant wardrobe, shoes for my feet, and this lovely house of the level path.  I'm also thankful that I'm no longer living in Texas with the heat and the bugs, especially the fire ants, chiggers too, and cockroaches!  It's really hard to be thankful for chiggers, fire ants, and cockroaches, which is probably why God had to write to be thankful in all circumstances.  (Excuse me while I shudder about the gigantic cockroach that landed on me in the middle of the night.)  Some things just don't make me naturally thankful.  
Early in my marriage my husband tried to make a point as he conversed with someone on the phone.  I heard him say something like, "Before I was married, my clothes were cleaned but not ironed.  Not that I'm married, my clothes are cleaned and ironed!"  This left me pondering who was ironing his clothes, because I surely wasn't.  He now knows his bride hates ironing.  He also knows where the iron and the ironing board are.  I wonder if he considers it an opportunity to be thankful in all circumstances, as he irons his own clothes.  Maybe I should surprise him and iron something for him...maybe.




No comments:

Post a Comment