Friday, May 2, 2014

Grandma and My Favorite Book

In 1909, Leonora Whitaker left her home to teach at a mission school near Del Rio, TN. She is the mother of Catherine Marshall, and Christy [the novel] is inspired by Leonora’s experiences teaching in rural Appalachia.
Titus 2:7-8
English Standard Version (ESV)
7 Show yourself in all respects to be a model of good works, and in your teaching show integrity, dignity, 8 and sound speech that cannot be condemned, so that an opponent may be put to shame, having nothing evil to say about us.

“A Christian has no business being satisfied with mediocrity. He's supposed to reach for the stars. Why not? He's not on his own anymore. He has God's help now.” 

― Catherine Marshall, Christy
“I still don't understand anything- exept that somehow I know that You are love. And that in my heart has been so great a love for Christy as I did not know could exist on this earth. You, God, must be responsible. You must have put it there. So what do I do with it now? ” 

― Catherine Marshall, Christy

My grandmother kept a copy of Catherine Marshall's book, "Christy," in her bookcase.  When I asked her about it I learned that the Christy character left her family to be a one room school teacher at the same age and the same year that my grandmother did; and even though they taught in different parts of the country, the rough and rowdy ways of the school children were much the same.  It quickly became my favorite book, and I've enjoyed rereading it over the years; each time appreciating my grandmother even more.  "Christy" did become a TV series, but the book still draws me back.  I did, however, enjoy this Christy video I found on YouTube.
Down in the Valley - Christy and Neil

No comments:

Post a Comment