Thursday, May 29, 2014

Of Family Trips and Lost Sheep

Bubbleator at the 1962 Worlds Fair lifted hundreds of visitors each day to the World of Tomorrow. The Space-Age elevator could hold up to 150 people.
Luke 15:1-7
English Standard Version (ESV)
The Parable of the Lost Sheep
15 Now the tax collectors and sinners were all drawing near to hear him. 2 And the Pharisees and the scribes grumbled, saying, “This man receives sinners and eats with them.”

3 So he told them this parable: 4 “What man of you, having a hundred sheep, if he has lost one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the open country, and go after the one that is lost, until he finds it? 5 And when he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing. 6 And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and his neighbors, saying to them, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep that was lost.’ 7 Just so, I tell you, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance.
Isaiah 40:26
New International Version (NIV)
26 Lift up your eyes and look to the heavens:
    Who created all these?
He who brings out the starry host one by one
    and calls forth each of them by name.
Because of his great power and mighty strength, not one of them is missing.
Luke 19:10
New International Version (NIV)
10 For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost.”
A picture of 1962's Seattle World's Fair Bubbleator may seem like a strange choice for the Parable of the Lost Sheep, but it works for me.  I was there with my family when my older brother was briefly lost.  My memory may be sketchy but as I recall he was taking a ride for himself in the Bubbleator.    Surrounded by sisters he likely wanted a moment alone and coming from a town without elevators, the Bubbleator was a big temptation.  Instead of my parents figuring they had enough children so why worry about him, they fetched him back into their fold.  Summer is coming along with family vacation trips.  Children will be lost and found.  My God who holds the stars in place never loses one, and my Jesus is a finder of lost sheep.  
Still watch your children.  They are precious in His sight and the jewels in His crown.
Jewels - Alison Krauss and the Cox Family 


No comments:

Post a Comment