Sunday, May 11, 2014

Of Mary, Jesus, and Mother's Day

Jesus meets His Mother, IV (1998) by Adolf Lachman.
Luke 1:46-48
New International Version (NIV)
Mary’s Song

46 And Mary said:

“My soul glorifies the Lord
47     and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
48 for he has been mindful
    of the humble state of his servant.
From now on all generations will call me blessed,
Matthew 1:21
King James Version (KJV)
21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Jesus: for he shall save his people from their sins.
John 19:25-27
King James Version (KJV)
25 Now there stood by the cross of Jesus his mother, and his mother's sister, Mary the wife of Cleophas, and Mary Magdalene.

26 When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son!

27 Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home.
This Mother's Day had me thinking about Mary, the mother of Jesus, and her womb that cradled God.  Like most evangelical protestants, I'm not always comfortable with Mary, unless someone think I venerate or pray to her.  I can  place her at the manger but not always at the cross.  There have been many grieving parents in the news and there are many more of whom I'll never know as they sorrow behind closed doors.  But God knows.  He too lost a child.  God understood the sacrifice but I wonder if Mary truly did, as she was a very human mother, and we humans struggle to comprehend the Eternal.  So as the news continues to play out over children lost to us but not to God, I consider Mary.  

No comments:

Post a Comment