Tuesday, May 27, 2014

My God In Every Circumstance


“The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances.”


― Elisabeth Elliot, Keep a Quiet Heart

2 Corinthians 12:8-10
English Standard Version (ESV)
8 Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. 9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
2 Samuel 22:3
King James Version (KJV)
3 The God of my rock; in him will I trust: he is my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my high tower, and my refuge, my saviour; thou savest me from violence.
Psalm 91: 1-2
1 Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High
    will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.[a]
2 I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress,
    my God, in whom I trust.”
Romans 8:18
English Standard Version (ESV)
Future Glory
18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us.
I found myself missing my youth yesterday as I walked this beach with my husband.  Actually my husband and the dog walked ahead of me because I was slowed by rheumatoid arthritis pain.  My last memories of this beach were running and playing on it as a child.   It was a favorite picnic place for my parents.  In the days before fast food restaurants and play lands this was a good place for children and we loved it.  Yesterday it was nearly deserted and the place where we would eat around a fire was all overgrown.  I found myself fighting a sense of melancholy along with the pain.  Life has moved on.  The large rock that sheltered us from the wind and allowed our fire to burn, however, was still standing firm so many year later.  I am reminded that God is like that rock, unchanging, unmoving, a sweet shelter for His children, a warm place to rest and be refreshed.  My circumstances may have changed but my Jesus hasn't. 
Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus (Look Up) [Lyrics]



No comments:

Post a Comment