Wednesday, March 14, 2012

God Bless, Sister



Another sister is having a birthday.   All my sisters are special but this one is especially mine, since we shared our babyhood.   She may think I took her babyhood coming so soon after she was welcomed into the world, but she still showed me undeserved selflessness, mercy and grace.  I do want to apologize for that Christmas when Mom put both of our names on that toy kitchen she so wanted, trying to make a fair division of gifts.  Mom and Dad always tried to spend equal amounts through our growing up years: but I still compared every gift received with what this sister was given, keeping a silent score over who got the best gift.   I envied her social life while she envied my grades.   I played and watched while she claimed our father's lap.    She played and watched while our mother nursed me through bouts of bronchitis.   Even yesterday, while looking at old family pictures, I noted that she had a new Easter outfit while I was wearing her previous year's hand-me-down dress.   A sister can be the yardstick by which you measure your life, the keeper of her memories as well as your own, a constant and sometimes unwanted companion, the divider of the spoils, the multiplier of the fun, and the one who loves you more than you'll fully realize.  I pray, dear sister, that our Heavenly Father will bless you with a year of boundless love and grace.   You deserve it . . . even if I find myself envying your bounty.   

Love Never Fails - Brandon Heath



No comments:

Post a Comment