Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Dear Dad,

Matthew 4:16(NIV)
he people living in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of the shadow of death a light has dawned."
Dad,
I've been thinking about you tonight.  Your son-in-law and I celebrated another anniversary.   I've been remembering how we stood arm in arm at the end of the church aisle, me in my wedding gown, and you poised to walk your last daughter down the aisle.   You looked at me and said, "You know it's not too late to back out of this."   My jaw dropped open under my bridal veil, then the organ music played, and off we went!   Even though there have been times when I wished I'd taken you up on it, there is so much I wouldn't change for anything.  The product of our union, the young man who lives in our house and doesn't want to be blogged about, has just been talking my ear off about the things so important to him.   There were so many times I did that to you!  I thought education made me so smart, when it was so little compared to the knowledge you gained serving in World War II.   He enjoys so much what he's learning and the heady power of knowledge!   Today he finished a macro economics paper and wryly commented that he could now solve the country's economic crisis.   What is macro economics anyway?   
Well, economics isn't a worry for you now.   You don't have to run around Heaven turning off lights to save a little money, or remind people to close doors behind them, because they weren't born in a barn.   That would be sort of funny if you did, though, because the King of Heaven, the Light of the World was born in a barn!   
Your bride is doing well, still living a life of obedience to the Savior.   This song reminds me of growing up with you and Mom, who taught me to appreciate songs by Perry Como.  This version of "Catch A Falling Star" is by Neal and Leandra from their "A Dreamer's Holiday: A Tribute to Perry Como" album.







No comments:

Post a Comment