Thursday, May 10, 2012

My God, My Marriage Founder and Counselor

Proverbs 30:18-19

New Living Translation (NLT)
18 There are three things that amaze me—
    no, four things that I don’t understand:
19 how an eagle glides through the sky,
    how a snake slithers on a rock,
    how a ship navigates the ocean,
    how a man loves a woman.

Yes, I thought it was funny when I saw the pictures and read the story of the prom kids in Wisconsin who fell into the water when the pier they were posing on collapsed.  Thankfully no harm was done unless you count the blow dryers that were used to dry themselves off after the mishap.   Out of that story a hero, at least in my eyes, emerged, the young man who grabbed his date in a big bear hug and saved her from the water.   That boy, who's first thought was for the young lady in his charge, is prime marriage material.  I made sure the young man who lives in my house but doesn't want to be blogged about knew that the teenager modeled how a man should behave with a woman.
   
I love the prayer that Ruth Bell Graham, the late wife of Billy Graham, wrote about the man she hoped to marry.  Patty Griffin sings "Ruth's Prayer" for the film, Billy: The Early Years.


“Dear God, 
I prayed, all unafraid


(as we're inclined to do)
I do not need a handsome man
but let him be like You;
I do not need one big and strong
nor yet so very tall,
nor need he be some genius,
or wealthy, Lord, at all;
but let his head be high, dear God,
and let his eye be clear,
his shoulders straight, whate'er his state,
whate'er his earthly sphere;
and let his face have character,
a ruggedness if soul,
and let his whole life show, dear God,
a singleness of goal;
then when he comes
(as he will come)
with quiet eyes aglow,
I'll understand that he's the man
I prayed for long ago.”
― Ruth Bell Graham

No comments:

Post a Comment