Saturday, May 19, 2012

My God of Compassion and Grace

Psalm 103:8-12 (NIV)
The Lord is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in love.  He will not always accuse, nor will he harbor his anger forever; he does not treat us as our sins deserve nor repay us according to our iniquities.  For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him; as far as the east is from the west, so far he has removed our transgressions from us.

Psalm 103 gives me another reason to be thankful that God is God and I am not.   He does not harbor his anger forever or give me the cold shoulder when I have sinned, unlike someone I know so well in the kingdom of me, myself, and I.  I stubbornly cling to my supposed right to justice when I've been wronged, and become angry when justice isn't served.   It wasn't justice that sent Jesus to the cross, it was love.  He, who knew no sin, bore my sins for me, receiving what I deserved as he hung on the cross.   He is my redeemer and my deliverer.   I remain gratefully his, here in this little house under the weeping willow tree.  
I find a spoken Psalm beautiful.   Here is a reading of it from Hillsong.


No comments:

Post a Comment