Tuesday, May 1, 2012

A May Basket

May Basket - Andrew Wyeth

May Baskets by Evelyn Stein
Let us take our baskets early
To the meadows green,
While the wild-flowers still are pearly
With the dewdrops' sheen.

Fill them full of blossoms rosy,
Violets and gay
Cowslips, every pretty posy
Welcoming the May.

Then our lovely loads we'll carry
Down the village street,
On each door, with laughter merry,
Hang a basket sweet.

Hey-a-day-day! It is spring now,
Lazy folks, awake!
See the pretty things we bring now
For the May Day's sake!

I was out late for a family birthday celebration tonight and driving home I was telling my husband about the fun of making May baskets, and wondered when and why I stopped.   Did I outgrow them?  I find myself wishing I hadn't.   Well, there's next year, I suppose, unless I allow it to come and go again.  I thought maybe it's not to late to leave a may basket on the internet for anyone who may read this.  

In The Garden - Alan Jackson


No comments:

Post a Comment