Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Doc's Amazing Grace

 Arthel Lane "Doc" Watson
March 3, 1923 - May 29, 2012

Intimacy comes from being yourself on the stage and making the audience feel, without trying, that you're sittin' down there with 'em, playing, and that can happen in a big hall, if you have a good audience that want to listen.

I'm like an old dog, I hate to be run off from home
Doc Watson

I was saddened to read of Doc Watson's passing today.   He's been a favorite of mine when it comes to bluegrass music.   He had an amazing talent and gift for the guitar.   I don't know enough about guitar playing to comment on his style, but I did enjoy it.   It's when he laid down his guitar, however, and lifted his voice singing the old gospel hymns that I would be most captivated.   The conviction in his voice as he worshipped his Savior could give me chills, the good kind, the feeling that makes you want to stop everything to join in worship, even in a recording.   I wish I had seen him in person, but it looks like that will now have to wait until Heaven, but that's okay, it's an Eternity, far beyond the 10,000 years, bright shining as the son, as John Newton wrote in his hymn, "Amazing Grace."   Doc's Home now and he won't be run off.  
Although God did not spare Doc's physical sight, he lost it when he was only one, He did open the spiritual eyes of his heart.   Doc was introduced to the hymns when he was a child.  Parents remember that the gospel songs will stick with your children the rest of their lives.   Here's Doc singing "Amazing Grace."



No comments:

Post a Comment