Saturday, May 12, 2012

For You, Mom!



A mother is a person who seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie.  ~Tenneva Jordan


Any mother could perform the jobs of several air traffic controllers with ease.  ~Lisa Alther


As Mother's Day approaches I find myself thinking about my mom and the above quotes remind me of her.   That she could plan and pack everything needed for a camping trip for seven children plus a husband is truly a feat that one can only marvel at.  Yes, she delegated tasks, but she still was the mastermind of our happiness.   Since I have a summer birthday,I was given one year a new sleeping bag just in time for a camping trip.   I loved that bag.   It was lined with soft pink and gray plaid fleece.   I believe at that time I was the only one of the kids who had a sleeping bag of their very own, which made me feel pretty special!  That bag was made even more memorable by what happened to it as we drove down the highway on our trip.   Despite Dad's best efforts at packing the top of our wagon with camping gear, my bag somehow never made it to its destination.   Knowing it was likely lost forever, I was pretty unhappy at having to share a sleeping bag with my baby brother for the rest of the vacation.   Mom, of course, said we needed to pray for that sleeping bag and so we did.   Sometime after our return home, a package arrived in the mail.   It was my sleeping bag!   Mom, of course, had made sure my name and address had been inked onto the bag.   Clearly to her it was a God thing, and her enthusiasm spilled over onto me.   I learned to cherish that bag, as if God had put the postage on it and mailed it to me Himself.
I've been enjoying again my songs by Sara Groves.   She does sing deep, lovely songs about Jesus, but she has also manage to interject humor into some of her songs.   This song, written by John Gorka, is one any mother, actually any parent, could appreciate.  

When He Cries (Charles Bronson) - Sara Groves


No comments:

Post a Comment