Sunday, May 6, 2012

My Merciful God

"I would say to my soul, O my soul, this is not the place of despair; this is not the time to despair in. As long as mine eyes can find a promise in the Bible, as long as there is a moment left me of breath or life in this world, so long will I wait or look for mercy, so long will I fight against unbelief and despair."
-John Bunyan (1628 - 1688)
"Grace is getting what we do not deserve.
Mercy is not receiving what we do deserve."
Our Daily Bread (July 12, 1998)

"Open thy gates of mercy, gracious God! 
My soul flies through these wounds to seek out thee."
-William Shakespeare (1564 - 1616)


I'll confess that as I'm writing I have one eye on the finale of the television reality show, "The Amazing Race."  There is a team imploring God for mercy and I wonder if they really know for what they are asking.  I doubt that I'll ever know the depths of God mercy on this side of Heaven.  The horizontal races we run in life don't come compare to the race we run in keeping ourselves faithful to our merciful and ever gracious Lord and Savior.   Jesus is at the finish line so keep running.  Play the game of "Amazing Grace!"

God of Mercy - Lou Fellingham



No comments:

Post a Comment