Monday, August 26, 2013

Better a Subject Than a Queen


John 12:43
New King James Version (NKJV)
43 for they loved the praise of men more than the praise of God.
Psalm 84:10
King James Version (KJV)
10 For a day in thy courts is better than a thousand. I had rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God, than to dwell in the tents of wickedness.

There were three amazing happenings this past week.  By Saturday, noon, my house was clean, however briefly, it was really clean!  Today I repaired, using a needle and thread, a favorite tee shirt for the young man who lives in our house but doesn't want to be blogged about.  Tonight, I fixed a complete and tasty dinner and we didn't even have company.  I was so impressed with myself that I expected my family to be impressed as well.  I wanted praise and accolades, instead of a simple thanks as they pushed themselves away from the table.  (Wait, make that four things, we actually ate at the table on a weeknight.  It even had a table cloth!)  I really wanted to be their queen and they my adoring subjects.  I should have realized that royalty is bestowed and never earned.  Also, one day of effort does not a Proverbs 31 woman make.  Tonight, as I write, I'm back to being the doorkeeper for our pets who want to go in and out, for whatever reasons pets have for going in and out.  It's all good, as Shakespeare reminds me, "Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown."
"Jewels" - Alison Krauss and The Cox Family

No comments:

Post a Comment