Saturday, September 21, 2013

Loving the Weaker Sex


1 Peter 3:7
New International Version (NIV)
7 Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing will hinder your prayers.
My introduction to a fainting couch came with my first adult job.  The ladies room had one, a leftover from the times when women would get the "vapors" or any of those ailments that were associated with the weaker sex.  I thought then, flush with youth and stamina while coming of age during the women's liberation movement, that the whole idea was absurd and kind of funny.  Like many of my peers I missed out on the chance to be cherished, without shame, as the weaker, fairer sex.  Now when I am older and blessed with auto-immune diseases, I would pay someone, if I only could afford it, to cart around a fainting couch for my own personal use, ever ready for any attack of the "vapors."  
I know love requires sacrifice from both men and women; but I want to say, "Man up, men.  Kill the bugs, do the heavy lifting, gas the cars and, look after your elders, and love your wives and children.  Hold your wife's purse if necessary, while she's indisposed.  God will hear your prayers."
"This So Called Love" - Mercy Me


No comments:

Post a Comment