Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Halfway Home


Romans 12:12
English Standard Version (ESV)
12 Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer.

James 1:12
English Standard Version (ESV)
12 Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him.

Romans 5:3-4
English Standard Version (ESV)
3 Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, 4 and endurance produces character, and character produces hope,
Philippians 3:14
New International Version (NIV)
14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

I found myself tonight looking up verses of endurance because rheumatoid arthritis requires it, not the kind of endurance that would allow me to swim from Cuba to Florida but the kind that sometimes only gets me from the couch to the bed.  But that's okay!  World records aren't for everyone.  What matters most to me is if I've pleased my Lord.  Have I been kind today?  Have I kept my bent for cynicism bending the other way?  Have I loved as God has loved me?  Have I done for the least of these even when I feeling like I'm the least? Have I told someone about Jesus?  There are so many days that I do fall short but I'll keep pressing on, because I'm heading Home.
"Wide River to Cross" - Buddy Miller




No comments:

Post a Comment